Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Another way to clean the greenies...............

A little while back I won an auction for a souvenir coin, knowing beforehand I was going to have to deal with the "greenies." After receiving it, I visited the Coin Board and asked them the best way to clean it to get rid of it, if it was possible. One of the posters suggested soaking in olive oil for at least a week, but considering the amount of verdigris it might take longer (he said he has soaked stuff for months!), and may not work for all of it. Here's the befores........... I've had it soaking for about two weeks. Today I decided to see how well it's done, took it out of the olive oil, cleaned it with ordinary dish liquid and dried with a soft cloth........... I've put it back in to see if it can do better, but even if not, I'm still pretty pleased with how it's turned out. Now, I haven't tried this on any jewelry as of yet, but I'm thinking for any rings, bracelets or necklaces that have verdigris this might be a great (and easy, it just washed right off without any "picking") alternative to vinegar. I have no idea, however, how it would work around rhinestones, though. I think I may have something to try it on that I won't be upset if I ruin it. If I can find it and try it, I'll post it here. Or if someone else gives it a shot, post the befores and afters! Carol



Orignal From: Another way to clean the greenies...............

No comments:

Post a Comment