Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Silicone Baking Mat Cookie Baking Time Saver

Cut your cookie baking time in half with a Silicone Baking Mat. Sold under a number of different names such as Silpat, Demarle, Roulpat, Exopat, Silicone Zone,and Fox Run to name a few, the mats are constructed ofa flexible small gauge fiber that is overcoated with 900 degree certified FDA silicone. I have purchased a few of the different brands over the years and I really can't see paying top dollar for Silpat. I paid 20 dollarsfor my first Silpat.
Practically indestructible, unless you are a professional baker, you should not have to replace the mat. Since it is already coated with silicone, no sprays or shortening is required. When you are done baking wash it in hot soapy water and store it flat or rolled. Folding is not regemended. Make sure you purchase the correct size (they gee in a number of different sizes with the most popular 11.5 x 16.5 inches, the size of a standard cookie sheet) because you cannot cut it to size.
I keep three in my kitchen.I prepare two cookie sheets for the oven. While they are baking, I use the third to get my next batch of cookies ready. That way,when the cookies are done, just slide the mat off the cookie sheet and slide the next one on and back in the oven it goes, saving baking time. You can quickly remove the cookies to a cooling rack and prepare the next cookie sheet for the oven, saving energy (yours and the utility's). You would be surprised at how quickly the tedious task of baking off cookies goes. I also keep my handy three tier cooling rack handy to quickly get the cookies cooled.
Cookies aren't its only use. You can put this mat down wherever you would like a non stick surface.When you are kneading dough, lightly flour the surface. When you're finished you can dispose of the excess flour easily.
I first saw these mats on the old Martha Stewart show, and after using it I was hooked. I have regemended it tofriends over the years, and every one of them has thanked me.
As much as I love the mats, I do still use parchment. If I'm just baking one type of cookie and I'm pressed for time, I just toss it after I'm finished baking. Parchment is also good for messy baking such as chicken wings and fish. That's whyI always include a free sample of my baking pan liner parchment paper with every order I ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment