Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Newbie needs held with old black

Would not have thought much about this vintage plastic black chain but I bought a small box of antique lacemaking items – some jewelry was in the box, too. Other items dated from approx 1900 to 1930's. Hi. I just recently decided to sell on ebay and so bought my first Simichrome in order to verify bakelite pieces. I read on line that Simichrome was the best test so I ordered a tube. I have never tested for bakelite before and I am a bit confused. I got the positive yellow on my butterscotch and red pieces, but I am confused when it comes to black. I read it does not always show a positive on black or pieces that are lacquered. Plus, how "yellow," does the test have to be? Could you take a look at this link chain. I actually would not have thought much about it except it was in a box lot I recently purchased. Other items in the box were antique lace making, sewing and jewelry items. The other items dated from approx 1900 to 1930s. Since it was in that box lot, I thought it might be special. Any idea what it is or what it is made of? Simichrome just returns a "dirty" cotton swab. The links are very different than the bakelite link chains I see listed on ebay. Pieces are diamond or triangular shaped with oval and round links in between. It is broken. The long piece is 11 inches. The "diamond" shaped segments are 2 sizes. The largest is 1 ¼ inches long, 5/8th inches wides and ¼ inch think. Have you ever seen anything like this? Is it something special?



Orignal From: Newbie needs held with old black

No comments:

Post a Comment