Monday, August 31, 2009

What are these beads made of?

I got this necklace in a lot quite awhile ago. I thought it was bakelite from the pictures in the auction. I broke the necklace right away of course. Anyway the big bead is bakelite, I just don't know what the small beads are made of. Maybe they are just plastic. They don't smell, no reaction to simichrome. I put a drop of acetone on one, and there was no tackyness, it didn't affect it at all. There is no mold marks, they are quite light. Lighter than bakelite beads of the same size. They turn yellow under a fluorescent light. Some of the beads have a small amount of crazing on the ends. (the fluorescent picture is crappy, my camera would not focus too well in the dark). Those weird blue marks are some kind of reflection. It has a barrel clasp, and all of the other beads and little round things are metal of some type. Anybody have any ideas? I didn't heat them at all, with a pin or hot water, in case they are celluloid. I am going to try to re-string it, what kind of thread should I use? Thanks for any help at all! Kelly


Orignal From: What are these beads made of?

No comments:

Post a Comment